Take a look at case studies from some of our clients below:
Sellafield Projects – On Site
We have maintained a permanent facility on the Sellafield site since 1983 and have serviced every major project during this period, including:
- Vitrification Lines 1 2 & 3
- THORP – radiography on 4 mechanical installations contracts
- Encapsulation Plants 1 and 2
We are currently providing full time service to the following projects:
- B215 Evaporator D project for Shepley Group
- SPP1 & SAV projects for Doosan Power Systems
- Sellafield term contract
- Multi Disciplined Site Wide Contract – Shepley Group, Redhall Nuclear and AMEC
Sellafield Projects – Off Site
Here are some examples of our current off site work in progress:
B215 Evaporator D – Module fabrication project for Interserve Industrial Services
NRL have been engaged on this project for two years since the previous NDT contractor ran into technical difficulties.
The project comprises of a fabrication facility in which stainless steel, (304L, 316L NAG), pipe spools are fabricated, together with a module assembly hall where the accepted fabricated spools are installed and tied into existing pipe spools. The construction principle includes shipment of completed modules by barge to the shore adjacent to the Sellafield site, from where the modules are transported on to site and lifted into the Evaporator D building. Radiography is carried out in accordance with Sellafield Limited’s specification, BNF.EG.0081 – 1 – A.
The project presented us with significant challenges from the start, in that there were two weeks to prepare for a full production operation, these included:
- Establishment of a contractual agreement under NEC 3 form of contract
- Building the relationships with the client’s project and commercial management, production and quality control personnel to explain our methods in detail and establish clear and effective lines of communication
- Set up of the physical site facility, including fully operational darkroom and office, isotope storage, static x-ray equipment and transportation
- Recruitment of an entire operational team, of up to 16 at peak
- The development of approved technical procedures specific to the project
- The design and development of a data management system with which to control the client’s weld data
- Production of meaningful real time management information detailing; daily, weekly, monthly productivity figures, reshoot calculations, production progress by module – all of which detail is captured within a single report as an output from “e-data”, (please see our Innovations page for full details of this system)
- Formulation of working practices to cover 24 hour service provision and guaranteed turnaround of results within 12 hours
The primary objective required for our involvement with this project was to remove the risk of radiography operations being the cause of any further programme delays. Following the initial start up period we implemented the working patterns and work flows to maintain pace with welding production, to the extent that the primary objective has been entirely achieved.
We have worked very closely with our client Interserve Industrial Services who have been highly flexible and receptive to new ideas and extremely cooperative and proactive in the “day to night to day” running of the operation.
The headline figures for the project are as follows:
Please see the Testimonials section for the letter from our principle point of contact on the project, Interserve’s Sub Contracts Manager, Mr. Carl Johansson.
Ministry of Defence (MOD) – Cammell Laird
In July 2012 NRL were invited by Cammell Laird to bid for extensive containment vessel work associated with the Nuclear New Build programme in the UK. During the process of compiling our bids for the work we met with several key personnel within the delivery teams for Cammell Laird, including a Project Director, Production Manager and Quality Manager. As a result of these meetings we were invited to bid for the on-going NDT requirements within the yard and subsequently succeeded in securing this work.
The work is in high contrast to our normal scope of work in that we are operating to MOD specifications primarily on plate welds varying from 6mm to 40mm section.
The relationship with Cammell Laird production staff, the H&S department and the quality control staff is one based on trust, open communication and mutual commitment. We look forward to continuing this relationship for future works.
The headline figures for the Cammell Laird work is as follows:
To discuss your NDT requirements or for further information please contact our team.