||Senior Mechanical Designer
|Temp or Perm:
Nrl are currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Designer to provide a design service within the Remediation and Waste Management (R&WM) areas at Sellafield. This role will involve developing mechanical design solutions in response to problem definitions from the OU system engineering community. You will be based at Birchwood Park in Warrington, on an initial 12 month period.
The problems that are likely to occur will be varied for plant and equipment on several Sellafield plants dealing with High Active, Medium Active and Low Active waste streams that process, compact, encapsulate, vitrify or package waste. The equipment or machinery could be used within a shielded cell being bespoke and designed for remote handling or remote operation in hazardous areas, or out cell where the equipment is more likely to be of a conventional nature for mechanical handling material in man accessible areas.
What You Will Need:
- HNC or HND in relevant engineering discipline with 5-8 years design delivery experience OR
degree in relevant engineering discipline with at least 2 years design delivery experience
- Ability to demonstrate a SQEP level equivalent to SL Designer role SR0754
- A sound engineering background with knowledge of general mechanical design aspects such as material selection, tolerancing, geometric tolerancing, surface finishes, and welding.
- Familiarity and experience of designing equipment for in cell applications involving remote maintenance and operation.
- Familiarity with crane and lifting equipment design, as such knowledge and past experience using crane and other design specifications and guides e.g. BS2573, The Machinery Directive, LOLER, and PUWER are required.
- Previous experience involving the design of mechanical / electrical machinery.
- Competent and proven senior designer, capable of producing designs, schemes, drawings, and supporting calculations who is familiar with the roles and application of the CDM regulations.
- Previous experience producing design packages, suitable for manufacture and installation, containing drawings, method statements, risk assessments etc.
- Previous experience producing designs for general fabrications.
- Familiarity and experience using AutoCad, Inventor, (or other 3D Packages) and Raster editor.
- Familiarity and experience of working and complying with applicable SL Practices, standards, and engineering guides.
- Familiarity with safety case principles and capable of providing design substantiation for equipment with designated nuclear safety functions to demonstrate that design solutions can meet the required safety function placed on it to the appropriate level.
- Past experience with space management and equipment layout.
- Past experience to have included elements of design, construction, commissioning and through life on plant technical support.
- Familiarity or previous design experience with plants on the Sellafield site (Preferred).