||Mechanical Handling Principal Engineer
|Temp or Perm:
NRL are currently recruiting on behalf of one of our leading client within the Defence industry for an experienced Mechanical Handling Principal Engineer. Required to work on a contract basis at Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth.
About The Role:
The purpose of the Principal Engineer – Mechanical Handling post is:
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities:
- To manage the delivery of mechanical handling engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost.
- Responsible for managing the technical aspects of the mechanical engineering packages from identification of the need, through to handover.
- The Principal Engineer – Mechanical Handling post operates as part of the Major Infrastructure Projects Business Unit.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Lead and manage one or more technical design packages agreeing project related objectives, managing designer performance and making appropriate technical management responses. Provide Subject Matter Expert advice as per discipline.
- Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
- Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and leading the project’s technical planning process.
- Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements, operate and deliver through compliance with Babcock’s Business Management System and Technical Manual.
- Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
- Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
- A degree in an appropriate engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer, registered with Engineering Council.
- NUC0793 Nuclear Plant Foundation Course Module 1.
- NUC0794 Nuclear Fundamentals (Foundation) Course Module 2.
- NUC0911 Introduction to Safety Engineering (ITSE).
- Design of cranes in Nuclear Regulated environment with proven experience in substantiation thereof;
- Knowledge of lifting techniques, processes etc. applicable to a Nuclear Licensed production environment;
- Design of conventional mechanical handling equipment to support production activities within a graving dock facility, particular focus on materials handling and flow required.
- Control and protection systems (including SIL rated)
- Seismic analysis of mechanical handling systems
- Substantiation of high integrity mechanical handling systems
- The post holder must be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical management of complex design development throughout the design lifecycle.
- Provide expert advice to the sub-contracted design houses to enable them to develop the design.
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements.
- Experience of working in BIM environments.
- Sound project specification, planning, project management and budgeting experience.
- Sound understanding of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety (including Principal Designer responsibilities under CDM) and Quality requirements.
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications.
- Experience of the design support to construction, operation, refit/repair of conventional and nuclear submarines and/or facilities.