|Job Title:||Head of Design|
|Temp or Perm:||Permanent Role|
NRL are currently recruiting for a Head of Design to work on a government sector project (transforming forensics) with an industry leading consultancy. The position will require travel to a variety of Police force organisations and agents throughout the UK. The Head of Design will manage the design team, reporting to the TF Programme Manager.
About the role:
Transforming Forensics (TF) is a national programme delivering new capabilities into policing to enable forensic service delivery of a fully integrated forensic service that will better support policing and the wider criminal justice system, and adapt more readily to future needs.
The Head of Design will be responsible for:
- Engage with the Police stakeholder community to understand individual forces needs and build consensus on the design;
- Managing and leading the design team;
- Shape the delivery of design in this technology enabled forensics change programme;
Managing and developing the design team
- An ‘evergreen’ design team based upon the existing team and its relationships that is:
Motivated and operating collaboratively to deliver the outcomes required by the client’s stakeholders as their understanding evolves; Comprised of people with skills, qualifications and experience to deliver an evolving set of outcomes;
- Working to process and with the tools, that are appropriate to deliver evolving requirement.
Developing and deploying appropriate design processes and procedures Coherent and holistic methods for design within the programme that:
- Builds on the existing foundations in the work to date;
- Is continuously refreshed to meet the evolving needs of the programme;
- Is appropriate to the maturity of the programme and its stakeholders;
- Can be deployed across UK Police forces and agencies coherently.
Building and maintaining an enterprise architecture for UK Forensics that supports agile and evergreen delivery
A holistic view of the UK Forensics that encompasses:
- Vision and Strategy;
- Business Services;
- Technical Services;
Developing and deploying appropriate design solutions
Effective, fit for purpose solutions that can be demonstrated to:
- Deliver the programme outcomes agreed with stakeholders from each Police Force and the Home Office;
- Support Policing in the realisation of the identified benefits.
Transferring knowledge to the Forensics Capability Network (FCN), UK Policing, as represented by force / agency stakeholders and commanders, and the Home Office
The necessary knowledge of the design and design process has been transferred to ensure that the FCN retains sufficient design and development capability to enable it to continue designing, delivering and deploying a transformed UK police forensics capabilities, particularly in the areas of capability management and evolution of ICT-enabled services.
Facilitating multi-force and agency design activities, with an approach and style that is supported by UK Policing, its policies, procedures, stakeholders and commanders
- Design activities and experience are both effective and supported by the UK Police forces / agencies as a community;
- Relationships and understanding are strengthened across the Polices forces and agencies;
- National and local political negativity is minimised.
Undertaking overarching assurance of solution designs, project and programme delivery and any design related decisions
Confidence in the design activity is maintained and can be demonstrated through evidence of compliance in the operational environment to UK Police Forces and agencies, including
- Implementation of a successful design overwatch and assurance programme;
- Provision of status and risk updates to the Senior Leardership Team (SLT);
- Provision of clear insight and recommendations at PRB;
- Maintenance of governance mechanisms and structure and appropriate, including reporting and attendance at DA Board meetings.
What you will need:
- Demonstrable experience of leading the delivery of enterprise and system design activities, within a complex stakeholder environment with both local and national political implications
- Demonstrable experience in leading the delivery of enterprise and system design consulting services, to policing, or related agencies
- Demonstrable experience of leading the delivery of enterprise and system design activities across all layers of the OSI 7 layer model with delivery to a nationally distributed, secure community.
- Demonstrable experience of complex ICT-enabled change programmes, within an Official Sensitive or higher security Police, or related agency, environment.
- Demonstrable technical and management expertise, including waterfall, agile and hybrid methodologies, to deliver within challenging timescales.
- Self motivated with excellent interpersonal skills including a proven ability to lead and to build high-performing teams and services.
- Demonstrable experience with both business and technical design. Demonstrable understanding of, and expertise in, exploiting enterprise architecture, including: vision, strategy, business and technical services to deliver agile and evegreen solutions in support of a rapidly evolving capability requirement.
- Proven track record of delivering complex, multi-year change over multiple organisations and services
- Excellent organisation and planning skills with the ability to prioritise a demanding workload and resources to meet objectives and deadlines.
- High resilience and commitment to change and service, demonstrated in a government, police or similar environment
- Degree level qualification, or equivalent experience, in Communications and Informations System, or related discipline.
- Knowledge and experience of the UK Forensics delivery and exploitation in Police or reaklted agency investigations.
- Knowledge and experience of the Transforming Forensics programme, including its business case, objectives, plan and stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience of leading the delivery of enterprise and system design activities, within a complex stakeholder environment with both local and national political implications for UK Police Forces and Agencies
- Demonstrable experience in leading the delivery of enterprise and system design consulting services, to breadth of UK Police Forces and Agencies
- Demonstrable experience of leading the delivery of enterprise and system design activities across all layers of the OSI 7 layer model with delivery to breadth of UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Proven technical/management expertise, including waterfall (PRINCE2 or equivalent) and agile methodologies (SAFe or equivalent), delivering within challenging timescales whilst managing national stakeholders from the majority, if not all, UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Self motivated with excellent interpersonal skills including a proven ability to lead and to build high-performing teams and services delivering to the breadth of UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Experience with both business and technical design. A demonstrable understanding of and expertise in exploiting enterprise architecture, including vision, strategy, business and technical services, to deliver agile and evegreen solutions in support of a rapidly evolving capability requirement for UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Demonstrable track record of delivering ICT enabled complex, multi-year change programmes to the majority, if not all, UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Demonstrable organisation and planning skills with the ability to prioritise a demanding workload and resources to meet objectives and deadlines for a UK national programme delivering to the majority, if not all, UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- High resilience and commitment to change and service for a UK national programme delivering to the majority, if not all, UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Enterprise architecture design qualifications, such as TOGAF or equivalent.
- Project Management qualifications such as PRINCE 2 or equivalent
- Agile Delivery qualifications such as Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) or equivalent
What’s in it for you?
- Chance to work with an industry leading consultancy business
- New and exciting national programme project revolutionising the process for forensics