|Temp or Perm:
||0141 226 8155
NRL's engineering client is currently recruiting a Chief Designer for their site in Rosyth on a 6 month contract.
About the role:
Provide leadership, overall direction and management of the Detail Design team to deliver the Product Model and Production Outputs schedule and budget to the required quality. Lead the continuing development of the Detailed Design team, and ensure the application of best practice through the pro-active engagement of the Leads and Design Capability Manager
- Manage and organise the design team to deliver the Product Model and Production Outputs, the, Engineering Execution Plan, Detail Design Execution Strategy, schedule and budget to the required quality.
- Develop the detail design plan and ensure adequate resources are requested for the work plan
- Work closely with the Delegated Design Authorities and engineering team to fulfil the contract requirement and deliver a configured Detail Design
- Work closely with Supply Chain to ensure VFI data is planned and available for designers
- Work closely with the Production Leads to provide required Production Outputs and construction support in optimised formats and as required by the schedule
- Ensure current best practice in application of designer expertise across the design lifecycle, including customs and standards and ensure these are communicated to and embedded in the team
- Ensure professional coaching to Leads, to ensure standards are maintained and incumbents are successful in their role
- Support and encourage the development of design capability and detailed design staff working with the wider engineering organisations Capability Managers
- Ensure governance procedures for detail design activities are applied to ensure appropriate verification and validation activities are undertaken and records kept
- Ensure all Design Reviews are completed and actions closed out by the design teams
- Ensure change management process is applied in accordance with the Engineering Execution Plan. Review and authorise Design team input to any Change Documentation.
- Contribute to development of processes for transition from Functional Design Phase to Detailed Design Phase, and subsequent release of production outputs
- Ensure Learning from Experience is captured, understood, recognised and incorporated
What you will need:
- HNC minimum in a relevant discipline or equivalent academic qualification and demonstrable experience
- Possess significant experience in the management of a detailed design environment, ideally in ship design or marine application
- Extensive knowledge of 3D Product Model CAD tools, ideally Hexagon’s Smart 3D
- Outstanding people and team management skills
- Detailed understanding of production requirements and ship integration
- Knowledge of General Engineering Drawing Practice
- Typically Incorporated Engineer status minimum
What's in it for you?
- Attractive rate
- 6 month contract